Research Design for the Behavioral Sciences
An Applied Approach
"I wholeheartedly invite counselor trainees and counselors into this journey of growing the research component of their professional identity... Flynn and his colleagues prepare counselor trainees and counselors for this journey well and guide them carefully toward researcher competency. In an approachable and developmentally appropriate manner, they highlight for the profession the value of research and how it can be conducted."
- Danica G. Hays, PhD
American Counseling Fellow
Professor and Executive Associate Dean
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Research Design for the Behavioral Sciences fills an important gap for the helping professions by offering a blueprint for advanced concepts and an applied approach to understanding quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods research design. This graduate-level text seamlessly weaves together the philosophy, science, and practical application of the most common methodological frameworks in practice. Advanced research design concepts are presented through clear and in-depth blueprints, applied case studies, myriad examples, and helpful learning activities.
Written in detailed yet accessible language, this text describes the foundations of behavioral science research. The authors explore research-based philosophical integration, along with the technical application of every tradition. Through this philosophical and pragmatic approach, students will be able to attain a well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of behavioral science research.
This text provides students with the opportunity to reach a greater level of research efficacy though the inclusion of methodological procedures, data analysis methods, reliability/validity standards, ethics, and directions on how to increase the rigor of each approach to research. Instructor resources include an instructor's manual, learning activities, test bank, and PowerPoints. Purchase includes digital access for use on most mobile devices and computers.
- Provides clear, detailed, and contextually accurate examples of writing, quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods procedures
- Reviews the paradigmatic hierarchy of each research tradition along with key analytic features in detail
- Delivers instructions for enhancing the methodological rigor of each approach
- Analyzes methodology-specific multicultural issues
- Demonstrates the application of a wide range of research methodologies with case studies
- Reviews the trends and history in research for counseling, psychology, social work, and marriage and family therapy
- Offers comprehensive instructor resources including manual, learning activities, test bank, and PowerPoint slides